Friday

29th April 2011 - Cat and Frog cake

Tomorrow is the birthday of Ad's girlfriend, and he asked me to make a cake for her with frogs and black cats (one adult and one kitten).  Those where the only specifications given and rest was up to me.  I like it when the design is left to me because I can play around with things I haven't done before. 

The first new thing I tried was the carving of the cake into a small hill.  I needed to leave enough space for the frogs and pond. 

Secondly (other than the small rocks on the Rabbit cake),  I tried marbling fondant with great success.  The Pond was marbled with two different blues, and the Throne of the Frog King was black and white mixed until all the white turned grey so it would look like stone.

Thirdly I wanted the Lilly pads to look wet.  I painted over all three three pads with edible glue which achieved this look with great effect =].

4.5 hrs from start to finish =] =] =].
The marbling effect turned out great.






Frog King with Robe and Crown on an
ancient stone Throne.

No comments:

Post a Comment