Saturday

22nd January 2011 - Checkmate!!!

Today I wanted to bake, coat and decorate a cake.  I had a chessboard theme in mind... not a full chessboard but just one corner in which the Queen and Rook had the King in checkmate.  The base cake was a Victoria Sponge Cake filled and covered in a tasty Lemon Buttercream. I used the flat or bottom of the cake for the top instead of the domed side like normal to give the cake a easier more level platform to work on. 

Once the Lemon Buttercream filling was finished I covered both the top and sides with it too.  This allows for a crumb coating so little bumps don't appear when I cover the cake in Icing.  The Icing went on better than on the Cow Cake which didn't have a crumb coat and shows if you look down my Blog.  This cake had almost no imperfections in the Icing covering which I am pleased about... a more professional look about it.

I then built up the part-chessboard of nine squares using both Sugarpaste and Marzipan.  Each square is two inches by two inches and once I placed and stuck those down I put in the black dividers and border.  After a nice cuppa and something to eat I made to Queen.   She was quite tricky and took several versions before I finally used the one you can see on the cake. 

Next came the Rook or Castle as is sometimes called.  I had to make it blue as this was the main colour of the Queen and the board tiles.  I think looking back I should of spent more time on this but hay-ho job done.  Finally came the King but before that another cuppa and a bit of a think about how to do this.  I decided to go with a tombstone with the King's Crown hanging off the edge.... simple but I liked it.


Checkmate!!!

Death to the King

No comments:

Post a Comment